Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Finally Something worth it's weight!

I've been hearing about the Hunger games for over a year now, but just wouldn't read it. It wasn't out of spite, it was because I'm too old to wait and wait for these books to come out. So I decided I would read this trilogy once all the books were out. I wanted to amazed and thrilled and I wanted to read it as fast as I could without waiting a year for the next book to come out. So when Mockingjay came out this summer I knew my time had come. I loaded up all three books on my NOOK and hunkered down for the long haul. And I say this with complete honesty, these were the best books I've read all year. Suzanne Collins deserves every round of applause and every single dime she was paid for writing these books. They were fantastic, and I don't say that often about books I've read. But this trilogy is a worthy one and I now eagerly await the movie versions promised to us in 2012.

We meet our heroine, Katniss Everdeen, on the first page of the books and she's immediately got you. You may not be sure why but you just know you're going to be cheering for her in something. The world in which Katniss lives is equally as interesting. It's a futuristic version of America, post war and total destruction called Panem. Conditions are bad, people are poor, government is bad and Katniss is about to be thrown into the worst part of it. When her younger sister Prim is chosen as a contestant (or sacrifice) for the Hunger Games, Katniss immediately volunteers to take her place. And that one decision changes everything she knows.

There are 12 districts in Panem and each year a boy and a girl are chosen from each district to compete in the Hunger games, a to the death competition of survival and brute force. There can be only one survivor of these games and the one who does will live the remainder of their days in comfort with all their needs taken care of, sounds great. . . . if you're the one to survive what the government of Panem throws at you.

I'm not going to go into any more detail because I don't want to be a spoiler and these are three books I think everyone needs to experience, young and old. I even got my husband (who likes almost nothing that I do) to read them. He too was enthralled by them and kept asking me questions about what was coming. Do you remember when you read HP for the first time and you couldn't wait to find out how each book ended and then how it all ended, well you can get that feeling again reading these books. It is truly worth you time and money if you don't have the time, find it, and if you don't have the money borrow them from someone. . . you won't regret it.



Teen book crack gives this ********** out of ***** (there just aren't enough stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment